Monday, November 26, 2007

Obama, Clinton and Jena 6

So I've decided that I am just going to go from candidate to candidate and summarize their stances on issues and what it means to me as a first time voter. It is interesting because I was interviewed over the break by friend about how much I know about current politics and the presidential election. I turns out that I don't know squat. Well, I knew a bit, but not enough to justify my lean for Obama. So, I've decided I need to know why Obama, not Clinton and why Clinton and Obama and not Guiliani or Bill Richardson or something. If I can't tell you why not, that is troubling. So I went to http://ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm which has all the major candidates and their stances on the essential issues. For the sake of this study, essential issues. The website has their stance on a lot of issues, but I guess for the sake of sanity, I will focus on what is important to me. Well, no I don't even know that. I know that education is important. Civil Rights, including immigration is important to me. International diplomacy is an important issue as well. The environment, to jump in the bandwagon. Umm also healthcare reform. Damn it, I will thow in corporate oversight too. So... here we go.

Obama is the man. I just go through the list and I find very little I disagree with.

Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. (Nov 2007)
The politics of fear undermines basic civil liberties. (Oct 2007)
Ok to expose 6-year-olds to gay couples; they know already. (Sep 2007)
Better enforce women's pay equity via Equal Pay Act. (Aug 2007)
Strengthen the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Aug 2007)
Has any marriage broken up because two gays hold hands? (Aug 2007)
We need strong civil unions, not just weak civil unions. (Aug 2007)
Legal rights for gays are conferred by state, not by church. (Aug 2007)
Disentangle gay rights from the word "marriage". (Aug 2007)
Gay marriage is less important that equal gay rights. (Aug 2007)
Gay rights movement is somewhat like civil rights movement. (Aug 2007)
Let each denominations decide on recognizing gay marriage. (Jul 2007)
Racial equality good for America as a whole. (Jun 2007)
Put the Confederate flag in a museum, not the state house. (Apr 2007)
Supports health benefits for gay civil partners. (Oct 2006)
Muslim heritage gives Obama unique influence in Muslim world. (Oct 2006)
Opposes gay marriage; supports civil union & gay equality. (Oct 2006)
No black or white America--just United States of America. (Oct 2006)
Marriage not a human right; non-discrimination is. (Oct 2004)
African-Americans vote Democratic because of issue stances. (Jul 2004)
Forthright on racial issues and on his civil rights history. (Jul 2004)
Defend freedom and equality under law. (May 2004)
Politicians: don't use religion to insulate from criticism. (Apr 2004)
Supports affirmative action in colleges and government. (Jul 1998)
Include sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws. (Jul 1998)
Miscegenation a felony in 1960 when Obamas practiced it. (Aug 1996)
The civil rights movement was a success. (Aug 1996)
Voted NO on recommending Constitutional ban on flag desecration. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)


Most of that I like. I am not sure about how I feel about affirmative action anymore and I really want to beleive in the way he thinks its about unity -UNITED STATE OF AMERICA, not Black or white America. Kind of tired of being left out of America. Anywho, he is very comprehensive and I like the way he doesn't like to generalize and simplfiy things. I suppose to his demise, but heck "Disentangle gay rights from the word "marriage". (Aug 2007" isn't something I've hear from anyone else. More from the others in the future.

No comments: